Utilities Site Engineer
As a Utilities Site Engineer with Align, you will have a key role in delivering one of Britain's flagship engineering projects that includes a 15.75km twin-bore tunnel through the Chiltern Hills and a stunning viaduct over the Colne Valley. The scale, complexity and importance of this project make this a career opportunity like few others.
The Align opportunity
The construction of the Chiltern tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct are two of the most eye-catching and challenging engineering projects on the HS2 route. Align is the joint venture created to achieve this task – we've created one integrated team of specialists from three partners with global reputations: Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine.
By joining Align you can become an integral part of this landmark project – with the opportunity to develop your expertise as the project progresses and leave a legacy to be proud of for the rest of your career.
The C1 Package includes the following elements:
- The iconic Colne Valley Viaduct which is a “structure of international significance”; 3+ km long and spanning the lakes of the Colne Valley (architectural images can be found online).
- Chiltern Tunnels – 2 x 16km long tunnels through the Chiltern Hills
- Western Valley Slopes (South Portal) – 2.5km of earthworks including the TBM launching portal and main compound in Maple Cross housing the TBM plant and equipment, main offices and tunnel/viaduct pre-casting yards
- 5 x Ventilation Shafts at Chalfont St. Peter, Chalfont St. Giles, Amersham, Little Missenden and Chesham. Shaft depth between 35m-65m with diaphragm walls up to 80m deep. Headhouses at each location.
Purpose of the job
Align JV are looking for a Utilities Site Engineer to support the Utilities Team with the technical and engineering aspects of Utilities relocations and installations across the project.
The Align JV Utilities Site Engineer will:
- Liaise with the client representative, designers and Utility Companies over design issues/changes.
- Liaise with STATS/Utilities providers in relation to co-ordination of works on the project
- Assist the site management team to manage sections of the work/specific sub-contract packages specialist subcontractors brought onto the project to undertake Utility Diversion works.
- Raise Permits to Dig and assist with the Permit to Dig Process, ensure that Permits are being adhered to on site in relation to working around new or existing services
- Take responsibility for checking and keeping records of delivered material, to ensure all materials used on site are in line with the specification. To include adequate checks on subcontractor materials.
- Carry out checks on the sub-contractor’s setting out.
- Carry out checks for quality in accordance with the inspection and test plan throughout the contract and duly record.
- Establish records; calibration documents and check registers for all instruments on site, including subcontractor’s instruments. Keep accurate records for excavations, services, concrete pours, reinforcement etc.
- Carry out surveys of completed works to record as-built conditions.
- Establish method statements and inspection and test plans.
- Establish and monitor detailed programme with the aim of meeting the milestones of the Project general programme
- Manage and maintain the Combined Service Model ensuring the model is updated on a regular basis and available to the Align Team.
- Take reasonable care for the safety of themselves and of any other person who may be affected by what they do or fail to do at work
- Co-operate with their employers or any other persons in the performance of their statutory duties
Skills & Experience
- Hold either a Degree in Engineering or a lower educational level, typically HNC or HND may be acceptable where a significant level of experience in a technical engineering role can be demonstrated.
- Demonstrable previous relevant experience within construction engineering ideally within services or utilities relocations and installations
- Experience of managing or assisting with the management of programmes of work, ensuring the project runs to schedule
- Experience in managing or assisting with the management on site, monitoring, dealing with subcontractors and finding solutions to problems that may cause delays or extra costs.
- Experience leading or assisting with the leadership of site teams and mentoring them to help built a solid project team.
- Knowledge of the development and implementation of quality management.
- SMSTS Accreditation
- CSCS card
- Use of CAT & Genny
- Computer & Basic AUTOCAD understanding for updating Combined Service Model
We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.
We'd love you to join us in proudly building Britain's future heritage.
Apply online now.