As a Site Engineer - Ground Investigation with Align, you will have a key role in delivering one of Britain's flagship engineering projects that includes a 15.75km twin-bore tunnel through the Chiltern Hills and a stunning viaduct over the Colne Valley. The scale, complexity and importance of this project make this a career opportunity like few others.
The Align opportunity
The construction of the Chiltern tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct are two of the most eye-catching and challenging engineering projects on the HS2 route. Align is the joint venture created to achieve this task – we've created one integrated team of specialists from three partners with global reputations: Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine.
By joining Align you can become an integral part of this landmark project – with the opportunity to develop your expertise as the project progresses and leave a legacy to be proud of for the rest of your career.
The C1 Package includes the following elements:
- The iconic Colne Valley Viaduct which is a “structure of international significance”; 3+ km long and spanning the lakes of the Colne Valley (architectural images can be found online).
- Chiltern Tunnels – 2 x 16km long tunnels through the Chiltern Hills
- Western Valley Slopes (South Portal) – 2.5km of earthworks including the TBM launching portal and main compound in Maple Cross housing the TBM plant and equipment, main offices and tunnel/viaduct precasting yards
- 5 x Ventilation Shafts at Chalfont St. Peter, Chalfont St. Giles, Amersham, Little Missenden and Chesham. Shaft depth between 35m-65m with diaphragm walls up to 80m deep. Headhouses at each location.
Purpose of the job
The Align Site Enginer - Ground Investigation will manage the installation of geotechnical and structural instrumentation.
- Ensuring instrument installation is carried out according to the Health and Safety at Work Act and all relevant regulations;
- Control of instrumentation and monitoring sub-contractor on site;
- On-site co-ordination between ALIGN, the Instrumentation and monitoring sub-contractor and stakeholders;
- Co-ordinating between the various ALIGN departments including technical, safety, environmental, survey, tunnel, viaduct and earthworks on instrument installation issues;
- Monitoring and reporting of site activities;
- Inspection of working areas with the instrumentation and monitoring sub-contractor to check validity of Designer’s proposed instrument installation locations;
- Arranging instrument setting out with ALIGN survey team;
- Preparation of working areas including access, ecology surveys and vegetation clearances;
- Arranging utility inspections and permit to dig as required;
- Performing site specific inductions and briefings;
- Traffic management and co-ordinating with work teams for access and egress;
- Arranging site facilities such as mobile welfare, water, lighting and security;
- Checking contractor’s RAMS and facilitating approvals with safety department;
- Transporting manpower and equipment to site as required;
- Identifying and rectification of bad practices;
- To comply with all Company’s Policies and Procedures;
- To undertake other such reasonable duties appropriate to the role.
Skills & Experience
- BSc in civil engineering or similar
- Experience in site supervision;
- Driving Licence;
- Valid CSCS card;
- Demonstrable knowledge of the Health and Safety at Work Act;
- Knowledge of Autocad and Microsoft project;
We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.
We'd love you to join us in proudly building Britain's future heritage.
Apply online now.