As a Quality Engineer with Align, you will have a key role in delivering one of Britain's flagship engineering projects that includes a 15.75km twin-bore tunnel through the Chiltern Hills and a stunning viaduct over the Colne Valley. The scale, complexity and importance of this project make this a career opportunity like few others.
The Align opportunity
The construction of the Chiltern tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct are two of the most eye-catching and challenging engineering projects on the HS2 route. Align is the joint venture created to achieve this task – we've created one integrated team of specialists from three partners with global reputations: Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine.
By joining Align you can become an integral part of this landmark project – with the opportunity to develop your expertise as the project progresses and leave a legacy to be proud of for the rest of your career.
The C1 Package includes the following elements:
- The iconic Colne Valley Viaduct which is a “structure of international significance”; 3+ km long and spanning the lakes of the Colne Valley (architectural images can be found online).
- Chiltern Tunnels – 2 x 16km long tunnels through the Chiltern Hills
- Western Valley Slopes (South Portal) – 2.5km of earthworks including the TBM launching portal and main compound in Maple Cross housing the TBM plant and equipment, main offices and tunnel/viaduct precasting yards
- 5 x Ventilation Shafts at Chalfont St. Peter, Chalfont St. Giles, Amersham, Little Missenden and Chesham. Shaft depth between 35m-65m with diaphragm walls up to 80m deep. Headhouses at each location.
Purpose of the job
The Align Quality Engineer will ensure that the teams comply with ITPs, Method Statements, Work processes & procedures and Safety Standards across the project.
Ensure that the teams have requisite documents developed, approved and distributed prior to works commencement, undertake and record inspections and tests defined within ITPs, maintain contemporaneous as-built drawings, raise NCRs to cover deficient works and RFIs to clarify issues and/or record technical decisions agreed with HS2.
The Align JV Quality Engineer will be responsible for:
- Reports to Quality and Assurance who has overall responsibility for the Quality Management System.
- Supports the Quality and Assurance Manager who leads the Monthly Quality Meeting and Monthly NCR Close-Out meeting
- Supports the Quality and Assurance Manager in developing the Quality Management System.
- Supports the Lead Auditor during quality audits
- Works closely with the Project Manager and the site team.
- Provides support to the project team for the implementation the project-specific Contract Quality Plan.
- Ensure strict adherence to compliance requirements at all times.
- Assists the Project site team in understanding and implementing the QA/QC requirements.
- Provides awareness on QA/QC matters to all site staff.
- Carries out inspection for all quality related procedures on site.
- Ensures that the Inspections and Test Plans (ITP) and Method Statements are implemented and are adequately documented.
- Review the Material Approval Form before being issued to the client.
- Prepares and keeps up to date all quality requirements on work methods/procedures.
- Identifies, analyses and resolves problems and issues with quality assurance and control for site activities.
- Inspects the work executed on site to ensure quality control in accordance to contract requirements, engineering specifications and the ITP.
- Raises non-conformities and follows up ensuring effective implementation for timely close out.
- Monitor inspection activities of Third Party Inspections and review reports.
- Maintains required construction quality performance data
- Complies with Align Document Control process.
Skills & Experience
- Prior background in at least one of; Deep Excavations, Reinforced concrete structures, TBM tunnelling or Earthworks
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Working knowledge of ISO 9001 and ISO 19011.
- Knowledge of the construction process, means and methods, and materials, their characteristics, installation procedures and tolerances.
- Competence in use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Team collaboration.
- Interpreting technical drawings.
- Being customer focused.
- Problem solving.
- Managing stressful situations.
- Being analytical and creative.
- Being thorough and professional.
- Meeting deadlines and multitasking.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Maintaining good relationships with the multi-disciplinary team
- Intercultural awareness
We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.
We'd love you to join us in proudly building Britain's future heritage.
Apply online now.