Reporting to the Head of Engagement and Compliance, the Community Engagement Team Leader will develop and deliver an integrated public engagement strategy for engaging with the local communities directly affected by Europe’s largest civil engineering project. The Team Leader will develop and lead a Community Engagement team who will provide a flexible community engagement service across two distinct delivery areas across the C1 sector of HS2 Ltd: the 3.4km Colne Valley Viaduct in the London Borough of Hillingdon and south Buckinghamshire; and the 15.6km Chiltern Tunnels in Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
The Team Leader will maintain and continue to develop the Align community engagement strategic and local plans in line with the HS2 engagement strategy and objectives. They will manage and direct the community engagement team and represent the C1 team at meetings with local community stakeholders and groups.
The Community Engagement team will work closely with the client’s core engagement service teams and the integrated project delivery team and act as the primary contact and the professional face of the project across the line of route. The Team Leader will ensure that the team proactively protect the client’s, the JV and parent companies’ and the project’s reputation within the community through the formulation and effective management of communication plans and materials. Ultimately the team leader will be responsible for nurturing community relationships to build trust and respect.
The Align opportunity
The construction of the Chiltern tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct are two of the most eye-catching and challenging engineering projects on the HS2 route. Align is the joint venture created to achieve this task – we've created one integrated team of specialists from three partners with global reputations: Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine.
By joining Align you can become an integral part of this landmark project – with the opportunity to develop your expertise as the project progresses and leave a legacy to be proud of for the rest of your career.
The C1 Package includes the following elements:
- The iconic Colne Valley Viaduct which is a “structure of international significance”; 3+ km long and spanning the lakes of the Colne Valley (architectural images can be found online).
- Chiltern Tunnels – 2 x 16km long tunnels through the Chiltern Hills
- Western Valley Slopes (South Portal) – 2.5km of earthworks including the TBM launching portal and main compound in Maple Cross housing the TBM plant and equipment, main offices and tunnel/viaduct pre cast yards
- 5 x Ventilation Shafts at Chalfont St. Peter, Chalfont St. Giles, Amersham, Little Missenden and Chesham. Shaft depth between 35m-65m with diaphragm walls up to 80m deep. Headhouses at each location.
- Develop an integrated community engagement strategy for the project
- Coordinate the development and implementation of effective engagement and communications plans for the overall project and each of the delivery areas, and supervise their delivery
- Facilitate proactive team involvement with the interface and delivery teams to review construction impacts and minimise effects on all stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with HS2 Ltd media and comms teams to develop innovations to promote a positive image and raise public awareness of the benefits of the project;
- Develop and deliver programme of public engagement on ‘Key Design Elements’ and construction updates; drafting materials, delivering training and briefings, undertaking event management e.g. exhibitions; online webinars etc
- Take responsibility as principal point of contact for all community-related information and support the project and client Communications/Media teams by providing input for any external corporate messaging.
- Build and nurture positive relationships with all stakeholders to add value to the delivery of the project by being a good neighbour, building trust and embedding ourselves in the community;
- Be aware of and monitor project sensitivities and areas of conflict or protest, consider implications and advise senior personnel of potential issues, contributing the development and implementation of effective emergency plans;
- Review and assess the nature of complaints, queries, compliments and third-party issues in order to spot trends and recommend measures for improvement;
- Work with HS2 Ltd complaints and enquiries team aid integration of complaints management across Align and HS2 Ltd;
- Work with third-party organisation to develop a complaints and records management system (CRM) which is compatible with Align GIS platform;
- Supervise the keeping of statistical evidence of performance to contractual standards, and manage a consistent and regular reporting process;
- Develop a strong and effective Community Engagement team, leading by example and building on individual’s skills and potential through support and mentoring;
- Support the project’s compliance with the Undertakings and Assurances, leading on delivering compliance for all community related commitments;
- Lead proactive involvement with local education establishments and interest groups, and work with colleagues in Skills, Education & Employment to identify development opportunities for the community as well as safety campaigns for schools in Buckinghamshire;
- Support and develop the project’s Community Investment and Legacy programmes, working with the leadership team and commercial colleagues to realise investment in legacy projects;
- Proactively engage in wider HS2 activities, attending contractor forums, identifying collaborative opportunities and sharing best practice and lessons learned;
- Manage and deliver regular reporting against engagement Key Performance Indicators.
Skills & Experience
- A self-starter with strong organisational skills able to manage staff to develop and follow processes for the effective management of a plan
- A prove ability to pro-actively deliver large scale, and high profile. community engagement strategies, including examples of involving communities and successfully securing changes on behalf of communities
- Experience of the construction industry, preferably in the rail / transport sector
- Relationship management experience in a community engagement role
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent communicator and proven ability to present to large, often challenging, groups
- Understand the pressures and constraints of working in and around differing strategic and political agencies
- Experience of working in a matrix organisation and managing conflicting priorities
- Proven ability in effectively dealing with challenging situations and conflict resolution.
- Proven ability to work under pressure
- Ability to remain focused on the bigger picture, despite daily challenges
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a multi-functional team
- Experience of leading and developing a team
- Capability of using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems
- Familiarity with Freedom of Information and Data Protection requirements
- Computer skills across the whole Microsoft Office suite
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
- Member of Chartered Institute of Public Relations; undergoing CIPR CPD process towards higher accreditation
- A degree or equivalent qualification (engineering/construction not mandatory)
- Media experience / training
- CSCS Card holder preferable but can be applied for post appointment
We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.
We'd love you to join us in proudly building Britain's future heritage.
Apply online now.