As a Graduate Tunnel Geologist with Align, you will have a key role in delivering one of Britain's flagship engineering projects that includes a 16.04km twin-bore tunnel through the Chiltern Hills and a stunning viaduct over the Colne Valley. The scale, complexity and importance of this project make this a career opportunity like few others.
The Align opportunity
The construction of the Chiltern tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct are two of the most eye-catching and challenging engineering projects on the HS2 route. Align is the joint venture created to achieve this task – we've created one integrated team of specialists from three partners with global reputations: Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine. By joining Align you can become an integral part of this landmark project – with the opportunity to develop your expertise as the project progresses and leave a legacy to be proud of for the rest of your career
Purpose of the job
To work as part of a team of Tunnel Geologists involved with the TBM and cross passage excavation.
Working under direct supervision, the Align Graduate Tunnel Geologist will be responsible for:
- Working shifts (weekends and nights) as tunnel progress requires;
- Assisting with preparing the detailed tunnel sections and ring by ring confinement parameters for the TBM pilot;
- Preparing submissions for daily review meeting to analyse the monitoring data, TBM driving parameters, grouting pressures and data from the STP;
- Calculating the TBM volume loss on a daily basis and providing advice if the volume loss exceeds the design limits;
- If required, carrying out initial face inspections under compressed air to confirm if the ground is stable for subsequent interventions;
- Probing and mapping of cross passages and ensuring the correct temporary support is installed according to the design;
- Determining the grout pattern if necessary for each cross-passage excavation;
- Collection of the geological and geotechnical data to assist with the with preparation of as-built conditions and determine and measure any variation of the ground conditions compared to the GBR;
Skills & Experience
- Degree in geology or geotechnical engineering;
- Valid CSCS Card.
We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.
We'd love you to join us in proudly building Britain's future heritage