Cross Passage and Portals Manager
As the Cross Passage and Portals Manager with Align, you will have a key role in delivering one of Britain's flagship engineering projects that includes a 15.75km twin-bore tunnel through the Chiltern Hills and a stunning viaduct over the Colne Valley. The scale, complexity and importance of this project make this a career opportunity like few others.
The Align opportunity
The construction of the Chiltern tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct are two of the most eye-catching and challenging engineering projects on the HS2 route. Align is the joint venture created to achieve this task – we've created one integrated team of specialists from three partners with global reputations: Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine.
By joining Align you can become an integral part of this landmark project – with the opportunity to develop your expertise as the project progresses and leave a legacy to be proud of for the rest of your career.
The C1 Package includes the following elements:
- The iconic Colne Valley Viaduct which is a “structure of international significance”; 3+ km long and spanning the lakes of the Colne Valley (architectural images can be found online).
- Chiltern Tunnels – 2 x 16km long tunnels through the Chiltern Hills
- Western Valley Slopes (South Portal) – 2.5km of earthworks including the TBM launching portal and main compound in Maple Cross housing the TBM plant and equipment, main offices and tunnel/viaduct precasting yards
- 5 x Ventilation Shafts at Chalfont St. Peter, Chalfont St. Giles, Amersham, Little Missenden and Chesham. Shaft depth between 35m-65m with diaphragm walls up to 80m deep. Headhouses at each location.
Purpose of the job
As the CP and Portals Manager you will be responsible for ensuring the cross passage (self-delivery/sub contracted works) and portal works comply with the overall programme and budget. Key aspects of the role include:
- leading a team of Engineers, Surveyors, and sub-contractors;
- promoting Health and Safety, Environment to his team and ensuring quality, timely and safe work practices;
- fulfilling Health & Safety responsibilities by adhering to the Company’s Health & Safety Policy and Management Plans;
- managing the subcontractor(s) appointed to the contract;
- ensuring that the allocated budget is respected;
- ensuring that the site is maintained to the high standard expected by the management of the company;
- carrying out any disciplinary measures necessary to site operatives, site foreman or subcontractors in accordance with the procedures;
- complying with all Company’s Policies and Procedures;
- developing and influencing innovative delivery solutions;
- undertaking other reasonable duties appropriate to the role.
Skills & Experience
Essentially you will possess a degree/ master’s qualification in Engineering or similar and experience which demonstrates applied knowledge of Tunnelling or Cross passage works on a major project, particularly in excavation and SCL works.
You must also be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in leading a team.
- Subcontract management experience
- Computer skills across the whole Microsoft Office suite;
- A full understanding of technical requirements and techniques of setting out and coaching of team members
- Strong communication skills with good interpersonal and influencing skills
- Awareness of procurement practice
- CSCS Card holder.
We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.
We'd love you to join us in proudly building Britain's future heritage.
Apply online now.